Share our article online.
I'm a first-time buyer, what do I need to know about the Conveyancing process?
Conveyancing Solicitors, Newcastle and Sunderland.
Buying a property for the first time can be very daunting. You’ve spent months, years, maybe even decades saving for a deposit, you may have gone through the rigorous procedure of obtaining a mortgage and now you need a solicitor.
I’ve never used a Conveyancing Solicitor before, what can I expect?
Will my Conveyancing Solicitor guide me and advise me as to what I need to be doing? There will be many questions!
The burning question for most first-time buyers is ‘How long will it take?’. Conveyancing Solicitors can only ever offer an estimate. Every transaction is DIFFERENT, as is every property. Where some transactions may take 4-6 weeks, others may take 8-12 or even longer.
So, what are the main things (not all by any means!) you need to know:
- A Conveyancing Solicitor will check if the title to the property is legally acceptable. If you are obtaining a mortgage, they must ensure that the title is compliant with your mortgage lender's requirements. This is because your Solicitor must act for BOTH you and your lender.
- Your Conveyancing Solicitor will arrange for compulsory searches to be carried out in respect of the property, usually a Local search prepared by the Council, a Coal Mining Search and a Water and Drainage search.
- If you are obtaining a gift/loan (other than a mortgage) from maybe a family member/friend, your solicitor will need to contact them directly. It is essential that source of funds is checked to comply with Money Laundering Regulations.
- The transaction is not legally binding until ‘exchange of contracts’ takes place. Exchange of contracts occurs after a date for completion has been set. You cannot collect the keys or move into the property until legal completion has taken place.
- If you are purchasing a property worth £125,000 or more, Stamp Duty Land Tax will be payable on completion and is a percentage of the value of the property. You must budget for this.
If you’re a first-time buyer and want to have a chat about this article or what you need to do, our Expert Conveyancing Solicitors will be only too pleased to help you.
If you would like any further information about our Conveyancing Services or you would like a FREE Fixed Fee Conveyancing Quote, then please do not hesitate to contact us on:
Expert Conveyancing Solicitors- Newcastle: 0191 284 6989
Expert Conveyancing Solicitors - Sunderland: 0191 567 6667
or email us: email@example.com
or complete our online enquiry form
and select Conveyancing
Our Gosforth ofﬁce is located at 137A Back High Street NE3 4ET - call in and see us at any time. We have wheelchair access, you can be dropped off at our front door, and there is free parking on the adjoining streets.
You can also park opposite our Sunderland Office on John Street.